Friday, January 8, 2016

The Return of Loreley Jones

As you know if you've read The Jezebel's Daughter, it was meant to be a stand-alone book. The ending really shut the door on any possible sequel. But a few of you who have read it demanded that I continue Loreley's story, and after a talk with one of my closest friends and fellow author, I've figured out a way to continue her story. There are some surprises in store, however.

Below are the first two paragraphs of the first chapter of The Pirate's Bride. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

When she left, all the light and air was sucked out of the world. I couldn't speak. I couldn't breathe. I was left with a single haunted word on my lips—Loreley. The memory of her face was burned into my brain. The way she smelled and tasted and felt in my arms was imprinted onto my very soul. The memory of seeing my child in her belly would keep my spirit moored to this Earth for eternity.

A rising tide of sheer rage overtook me and I slammed my fist into the unforgiving rock wall of my dank prison cell. “No!” I shrieked, some detached and emotionless part of me shying away from the madness in my voice. “No! I cannot lose her! I will not lose her!” I struck the wall again, feeling something in my hand shatter, and I collapsed to the floor, curling up in a sobbing, wretched ball, keening out my grief, my frustration, my anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment